Macao Investment Immigration
Investment immigration is where an individual invests a specific amount of money into the country that he or she wishes to reside in, to qualify for permanent residency. Each jurisdiction features different requirements to be met in order to qualify for investment immigration, and therefore it is important to understand the rights and restrictions of your chosen country of immigration.
Why Immigrate to Macao
Macao is a popular location for foreigners to permanently reside in due to its strong, stable and wealthy economy. It is a popular destination for business investors due to its strategic geographical location, only 70 miles from Hong Kong. Macao offers a high standard of living, low level tax regimes, excellent health care and low living expenses. In recent years, Macao has seen a large increase in the number of investors interested in immigration to the country.
Macao Investment Immigration Policy
The investment immigration policy for Macao was initially created by the local Portuguese administration prior to the establishment of the MSAR (Macao Special Administrative Region), in December 1999.
Macao residency applications come under 4 main categories: foreign investors, potential foreign investors, investment in fixed assets, and technical immigrants.
– Foreign investors are investors who are presently invested in industries such as manufacturing, tourism or other related service sectors.
– Potential foreign investors are individual who wish to invest in industrial units or service industries in the near future.
– Investment in fixed assets include investments in real estate.
– Technical immigrants are those individuals seeking residency visas who are professionals or management workers with years of relevant experience.
Fixed Assets Program
Where the applicant seeks to apply for a visa under the fixed assets program, they must satisfy the following conditions:
- The individual must invest a minimum of MOP 1 million ($125,000).
- If the applicant wishes to invest in real estate the value of the property must not be less than MOP 1 million
- The applicant should invest the money by means of a fund accompanied by the relevant bank loan. The investment would be transferred from a country outside Macao and into the Macao economy.
Under Macao’s Investment Residency Law, an investor can extend his visa to his parents and dependants, enabling up to 3 generations to be approved for a residency visa. Under Macao Law, a spouse is also defined as an individual who has lived with the applicant for more than 2 years, thus allowing for cohabiters to qualify for residency also.
Once the investor’s application for the residency visa has been approved by the Macao Government, the applicant will receive a ‘Temporary Residency Card’, which differs in the length of validity, depending on which investment program you have applied under.
– Under the category of investment project your temporary visa will be valid for 18 months.
– Under any other category your visa will be valid for a period of up to 3 years.
The applicant can become a permanent resident of Macao after 7 years of residency in Macao.